By Paul Couch
A new musical theatre adaptation ofKenneth Grahame’s The Wind In The Willowsis to hold open auditions later this month, it has been announced today [6 April] ahead of its world premiere in Autumn 2016. Auditions will be held at The Lowry in Salford on 22 April and at Rambert in London on 23 April.
The Wind In The Willowswill open at the Theatre Royal in Plymouth from 8 October 2016, followed by The Lowry in Salford and Mayflower Theatre in Southampton.Itwill be directed by Rachel Kavanaugh (Single Spies, Oklahomah!).
The producers forThe Wind In The Willowsare looking for strong character actors, with excellent singing and dancing skills, for principal roles and male and female ensemble. Attendees should be prepared to sing a musical theatre song and must be aged 18 years or older.
This musical version of Grahame’s pastoral tale has been adapted for the stage with a book by Oscar-winning screenwriter and Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowesand Olivier Award-winning composer and lyricist teamGeorge StilesandAnthony Drewe.The Wind In The Willows marks the first time the three have worked together since their hugely successful collaboration on the international hit musicalMary Poppinswhich ran for three years in the West End and six years on Broadway.
Auditions in Salford
The Lowry, Pier 8, The Quays, Salford M50 3AZ
Friday, 22 April 2016
Registration from 10am – 11.30am
Auditions in London
Rambert, 99 Upper Ground London SE1 9PP
Saturday, 23 April 2016
Registration from 9.30am – 11.30am.
- All auditionees must register within the registration times and will need to be prepared to wait all day to be seen.
- Applicants should bring piano-vocal sheet music for a musical theatre song, which should be performed in a British accent.
- Applicants may not get to sing their entire song at this stage. A pianist will be provided and we cannot accept backing tracks.
- Applicants should bring a recent headshot and a completed registration form which can be downloaded atwww.windinthewillowsthemusical.com/open-auditions(paper copies will be available on the day)
- All applicants must be available to travel to London for subsequent rounds of auditions between 25 April 2016 and 27 May 2016. This may result in several journeys to London to be seen by members of the creative team.
Rehearsals for the production take place in London with subsequent tour dates at Theatre Royal Plymouth, The Lowry, Salford and Mayflower Theatre, Southampton Applicants must be available to the production from 15 August 2016.
Further information: www.windinthewillowsthemusical.com